The Program for the Education of Native Teachers (P.E.N.T.) is a community-based teacher training program delivered by the Faculty of Education at Brandon University and funded by local education authorities. Frontier School Division's P.E.N.T. program aims to hire and train local residents of its communities to become certified teachers.
P.E.N.T. students work as student teachers/educational assistants in community schools for 8 months of the school year (September to April) and then spend 16 weeks (April to July) in Education classes at Brandon University. Upon completion of the program students will graduate with both a Bachelor of Arts or Science and a Bachelor of Education.
P.E.N.T. students can become certified teachers in six Spring/Summer sessions. New students entering the program will be expected to enroll in distance delivery courses to shorten the length of the program by one year to five years. When the program of studies is completed, students may then apply to Manitoba Education, Citizenship and Youth for their teaching certificate.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR ADMISSION TO P.E.N.T.
To qualify for P.E.N.T., applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be local residents of a Frontier School Division community
- Preferably be employed or have employment experience as an educational assistant (EA) in a school
- Be recommended for P.E.N.T. by the local school principal and school committee
- Must have completed Grade 12 (regular or mature student diploma)
- Have specific high school course pre-requisites and interest in specifically targeted areas – literacy, numeracy, or technology
- Have good oral and written communication skills
- Be a desirable role model
- Be able to meet all Brandon University entrance requirements, including criminal records and child abuse registry checks
- Be able to re-locate to Brandon for 16 weeks of classes and training (both Spring/Summer sessions) at Brandon University each year until graduation
For further information please contact:
Ms. Debra Perih
Home Placement/P.E.N.T. Coordinator
Frontier School Division
30 Speers Road
Winnipeg MB R2J 1L9
Phone: (204) 775-9741
Fax: (204) 775-9940
PENT (External link to Brandon University's PENT page)
Downloads for this program can be found in the Resources section.