Students who choose home placement are placed in homes with relatives or friends while they attend a public high school outside their home community. School tuition fees and monthly board and room payments are paid by the Division.
A student’s age, recent school history, previous school/home placement record are criteria which affect a student’s admission to the Home Placement Program. There are two categories of admission to the program:
- Regular Placement - Students in Grade 9 to 12 who do not have their grade level available in their local community or do not have daily transportation to a nearby high school. Only provincially funded or treaty students living off reserve are eligible for sponsorship. Parents must be residents of Frontier School Division.
- Special Placement – Students who wish to take a program of studies (e.g. vocational/ technology, Advanced Placement) which is not offered in their local high school. Students must take 8-14 credits in this specialized field. The School Division funds students in Grade 11. The student must receive the support of the local principal, Area Superintendent, and school committee in writing before the application will be reviewed.
PROGRAM’S MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- To assist in making high school arrangements for students
- To assist parents in making board and room arrangements
- Direction to students regarding school, the home placement, or personal problems
- Communication with students, parents, house parents, and schools
Students may get an application form from their local school or the Division's website under Home Placement Resources
. The deadline for fall registration for the Home Placement Program is Monday, May 15, 2017. Students in high schools applying for specialized vocational/technology programs have a deadline of Monday, April 17, 2017.
HOME PLACEMENT PROGRAM GUIDELINES
For further information please contact:
Ms. Debra Perih
Home Placement/P.E.N.T. Coordinator
Frontier School Division
30 Speers Road
Winnipeg MB R2J 1L9
Phone: (204) 258-2746
Fax: (204) 258-2063
Downloads for the Home Placement program can also be found in the Resources section.